[Slackbuilds-users] muParser and future of QtiPlot

Petar Petrov slackalaxy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 20:55:36 UTC 2018

Hi to all,

i prepared an update of my muParser.SlackBuild for version 2.2.6.1. It
builds fine, however QtiPlot which depends on muParser breaks when
building against the new version. Now, I have these options:

1) I can build the old version muParser into QtiPlot. In this case, I
will not have any reason to maintain the separate muparser, so I will
give it to someone else.
2) I can try to find a solution for QtiPlot to build against newest
muParser. This will take time.
3) I can just leave things as they are.

A few notes. Most of the distros, stick with the older version of the
library, so maybe we should too for now? Also, QtiPlot is very old and
the publicly available source code is no longer maintained. The
developer changed the license some time ago, so the version we have at
SBo is the last with available source code. Even now, it requires a
lot of patches and at a certain point in the future it will be no
longer possible to build. I guess we should just drop it then. We have
SciDAVis, which is a fork of QtiPlot and it seems quite good.

What would you advise me to do?

-petar