[Slackbuilds-users] Chromium in Slackbuilds

Jeremy Hansen jebrhansen+SBo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 23:00:32 UTC 2018

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018, 1:55 PM JCA <1.41421 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why not simply officially adopt the AlienBob version?

His SlackBuilds typically go against SBo requirements, namely downloading
things within the SlackBuild script. There's nothing wrong with doing that,
it's just not allowed by SBo.

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 11:38 AM David O'Shaughnessy <lists at osh.id.au>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 14 Dec 2018, at 5:44 PM, JCA wrote:
>>
>> The version of the Chromium from Slackbuilds is 53, whereas the latest is
>> 71. I.e. 53 is well over two years old. Why is it being kept that old,
>> especially bearing in mind that Slackware packages for the latest Chromium
>> may be downloaded from
>> http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/chromium. I mean, what is
>> the point of keeping such an old version in Slackbuilds?
>>

>> Hard to say, I also think that it should be dropped. For many packages it
>> seems quite alright to be behind the latest version, but I don't think a
>> web browser is one of those packages (security comes to mind).

It should be dropped if that maintainer isn't willing to keep it up and no
one else is willing to pick it up.

It hasn't been updated in over 2 years! We shouldn't keep something on here
that is chalked full of security issues just to keep chromium on SBo. If it
isn't going to be updated, it should just be removed.

--------

Another option is to simply do a repackaging of Eric's chromium package,
but if someone is willing to pick that up, they'd probably want to verify
with Eric that he's ok with his package being repackaged and find out what
server it should be hosted on. They'd also want to make sure they keep up
with his releases, since he removes older versions when he releases new
ones (or host the build somewhere else so it can survive until they can
update to match his version).

Jeremy