[Slackbuilds-users] Which jack?

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 19:54:59 UTC 2018

On 12/22/18, Didier Spaier <didier at slint.fr> wrote:

> I see in  the FAQ:
> https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio.github.com/wiki/Q_difference_jack1_jack2
> Programs compiled against Jack 1 will work with Jack 2 without recompile
> (and vice versa).
>
> Do you folks confirm?

That's been my experience. I haven't used jack2 much, but when I tried it,
the jack1-compiled stuff I tested all worked fine without a recompile.

> If yes, let me rephrase my question: if jack1 or jacjk2 is mentioned as
> build dependenecy, can actually use the other?
>
> I ask, because as a package provider I'd rather ship jack2.
> Then I could install jack1 locally to just build the packages that need
> specifically this one, but I'd prefer to avoid that if I can.

There are only 2 builds that list jack2 as a requirement: MuseScore
and lives. I just built & ran lives with jack1 and it at least compiles
and runs (it's a video editor; I didn't actually try to edit any video
with it). Actually, lives offers several choices for audio playback,
including both jack and pulseaudio. Seems like jack should be optional,
not a required dependency, but the maintainer might have a good reason
for doing it the way it's done...

MuseScore requires qt5-webkit, which I didn't already have installed,
so it's going to take a while to build. I'll try it with jack1 also,
and get back to you.