[Slackbuilds-users] Which jack?

Klaatu klaatu at member.fsf.org
Sun Dec 23 13:02:07 UTC 2018

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 02:20:43 AM B Watson wrote:
> On 12/22/18, Klaatu <klaatu at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> > For the record, I still think it would be useful for SBo at large to
> > define
> > generic JACK dependency which means either JACK or JACK2.
>
> You mean something like what Debian calls a metapackage? The existing
> SBo infrastructure hasn't got the concept of it. For it to exist, a
> bunch of work would have to be done (decisions to be made, tools and
> procedures updated).
>
> For jack 1 vs. 2, it's pretty simple, but I can imagine e.g. package
> xyz needs either foo or bar, but if it uses bar, bar must be compiled
> with MAGIC=yes set. Or, foo must be compiled with the optional dependency
> quux. We'd need a syntax to be able to express that in the .info file, and
> a parser for that syntax (to be used in sbopkg/sbotools/etc). Historically
> this level of complexity is something the SBo admins have resisted (I
> don't speak for them, but I've read previous discussions on this list...)
>
> Also, if I maintain some build that I say depends on
> jack-audio-connection-kit, and it gets replaced with a meta-dependency on
> jack in general... I now have to spend twice as much time testing my build
> (to make sure it really does work with both jacks). If I instead have the
> option to keep the dependency on jack-audio-connection-kit, I will, just
> to save myself the work. Which would make the meta-dependency pointless
> (at least it will if not using it is the path of least resistance).
>
> We have other things like this... various something and something-legacy,
> and wxGTK vs. wxPython. Also wx(GTK|Python) version 2.x vs. wxGTK3,
> since some things can be built with either.
>
> I take the REQUIRES= to mean "this is what the maintainer tests with". If
> something else happens to work, great (and it should ideally be mentioned
> in the README, like you do in your builds).

Not exactly. I meant some string to indicate that either JACK 1 or 2 may be
used.

For instance, list "JACK" as a dep, and rename 'jack-audio-connection-kit' to
'jack1', allowing 'JACK' to convey that either 'jack1' or 'jack2' are
acceptable). I know this would probably 'break' auto-install scripts, but I
imagine those scripts could add something on their end such that a variable
'JACK' resolves to whatever the user defines in a config file.

The differences between Jack 1 and 2 are summarized here:
https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio.github.com/wiki/Q_difference_jack1_jack2

and I think it's debatable whether jack1 really should be the default jack-
audio-connection-kit package.