[Slackbuilds-users] Is it worthwhile for a ports like package manager for Slackware

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 07:37:54 UTC 2018

On 2/18/18, Jheengut Pritvi <z.coldplayer at gmail.com> wrote:
> But pkgsrc does not use the slackbuilds.org Slackbuilds to build packages.

Have you looked at sbotools? It's at least somewhat similar to
ports/pkgsrc (or anyway it's been described to me that way, I haven't
actually used it).

One problem with using actual NetBSD pkgsrc on Slackware is that it
has its own package database. It doesn't know about the Slack package
db in /var/log/packages, and when you use pkgsrc to install something,
no record of it gets created in /var/log/packages.

If you google for Slackware + pkgsrc, you probably will find an ancient
set of directions that you should *not* follow (it involves replacing
most of the OS with pkgsrc equivalents, and "rm -rf /var/log/packages"
is one of the steps in the procedure...)