[Slackbuilds-users] LibreOffice compilation fails

Christoph Willing chris.willing at iinet.net.au
Thu Feb 22 22:58:59 UTC 2018

On 22/02/18 22:24, Ythogtha wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> 	I'm almost sure I should have found how to deal with that, because it
> feels like I did before, or heard of it here, but I couldn't find anything.
>
> So I'm trying to build LibreOffice, and it fails at the point described below.
> I have removed any previous LibreOffice (or libreoffice, or even openoffice)
> package.
> It fails wether I set USE_CCACHE=yes or USE_CCACHE=no
> It fails whatever value I set to MAKEFLAGS=-j1/-j2/-j4/-j8
> I have openjdk8 installed, and it fails wether I set JAVA=openjdk8 or JAVA=none.
> It fails wether I set VLC=yes or VLC=no.
> I have 130Go in the build and tmp directory.
> I have 32Go of RAM.
> None of my partitions are even near full.
> And it fails always at the same place.
>
> Here is the end of the build output
> [......]
> [BIN] sc
> [MOD] sc
> [BIN] postprocess
> [GAL] arrows
> [GAL] computers
> [GAL] diagrams
> Bootstrap exception 'component context fails to supply service
> com.sun.star.ucb.UniversalContentBroker of type
> com.sun.star.ucb.XUniversalContentBroker' /tmp/fs/SBo/libreoffice-6.0.1.1/solenv/gbuild/Gallery.mk:58:
> recipe for target '/tmp/fs/SBo/libreoffice-6.0.1.1/workdir/Gallery/arrows.done'
> failed make[1]: ***
> [/tmp/fs/SBo/libreoffice-6.0.1.1/workdir/Gallery/arrows.done] Error 1 make[1]:
> *** Waiting for unfinished jobs.... Bootstrap exception 'component context fails
> to supply service com.sun.star.ucb.UniversalContentBroker of type
> com.sun.star.ucb.XUniversalContentBroker' /tmp/fs/SBo/libreoffice-6.0.1.1/solenv/gbuild/Gallery.mk:58:
> recipe for target
> '/tmp/fs/SBo/libreoffice-6.0.1.1/workdir/Gallery/computers.done' failed make[1]:
> *** [/tmp/fs/SBo/libreoffice-6.0.1.1/workdir/Gallery/computers.done] Error 1
> Makefile:268: recipe for target 'build' failed make: *** [build] Error 2
>
> Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks !

I sometimes saw this type of output in my i586 test builds in a VM, even
after allocating more and more resources (RAM, disk space) to it. BTW,
no such problems with x86_64 VM, so I've long suspected some sort of
memory addressing problem.

After running with MAKEFLAGS-=-j1, I noticed a mention about virtual
memory exhaustion. This led to more resource allocation increases in the
VM, including adding more swap space but still no conclusive improvement
(sometimes failure, sometimes success).

Eventually, based on an idea which is not quite clear enough in my own
mind to try to explain, I set TMP=/var/tmp/SBo when running the
SlackBuild (overriding its TMP=/tmp/SBo). Since then the i586 VM has
built LO without problems using MAKEFLAGS=-j4 (LO versions 6.0.0.3 &
6.0.1.1).

chris