[Slackbuilds-users] w3m

David Woodfall dave at dawoodfall.net
Wed Jan 3 20:59:26 UTC 2018

>On Tue, Jan 02, 2018 at 07:40:50PM +0000, David Woodfall wrote:
>> I've tried to email Grigorios about this but got 'Recipient address
>> rejected. Not known' error back.
>>
>> I'm hoping that he's watching the list.
>>
>> I've noticed that w3m make install doesn't install w3mimgdisplay. This
>> is needed by ranger to display images in the terminal. I managed to fix
>> it by:
>>
>> make install DESTDIR=$PKG
>> cp w3mimgdisplay $PKG/usr/bin
>>
>> Also, if you change the termlib line to:
>>
>> --with-termlib="terminfo ncurses" \
>>
>> It will allow w3mimgdisplay to work in gnu-screen (if tic is used to
>> install the screen terminfo file).
>>
>> Could you please add those options? Then I will update my ranger
>> slackbuild with some information on how to get images working in the
>> terminal.
>
>Are you sure w3mimgdisplay is not installed?  I think it is:
>
>$ locate w3mimgdisplay
>/usr/libexec/w3m/w3mimgdisplay
>$ grep w3mimgdisplay /var/log/packages/*
>/var/log/packages/w3m-0.5.3-x86_64-3_SBo:usr/libexec/w3m/w3mimgdisplay
>
>I have not problems with displaying pdf documents as images in ranger.
>I found this in
>/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/ranger/ext/img_display.py:
>
>W3MIMGDISPLAY_PATHS = [
>    '/usr/lib/w3m/w3mimgdisplay',
>    '/usr/libexec/w3m/w3mimgdisplay',
>    '/usr/lib64/w3m/w3mimgdisplay',
>    '/usr/libexec64/w3m/w3mimgdisplay',
>]
>
>That would indicate that ranger does not really expect w3mimgdisplay
>to be in $PATH.
>--
>Arkadiusz Drabczyk <arkadiusz at drabczyk.org>

After some trying out various options I found that the w3m source
maintained by debian works in termite, and probably other terminals (I
mean the display of inline images in ranger and other terminal apps).
The slackbuild source was released in 2011, whereas debian released
0.5.3-35 11 days ago.

I'd like to take this if nobody objects and bring it up-to-date. I
suppose it'd be better to wait a few more days to see if the
maintainer checks the list.

Dave