[Slackbuilds-users] trying to fix sage-8.1 build script - advice needed

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 22:13:07 UTC 2018

I'm attempting to upgrade and fix a few issue with the sage build.
However, upstream seems to think that no one wants to compile a
redistributable install package.  The way sage works is:

1. Download prebuilt binary, extract it somewhere, rename directory if
desired, set a few shell variables, symlink, run.  Once run and the
binaries patched, you can't move it.

2. Download source, compile somewhere, AND DON'T MOVE IT!

In other words, upstream does not support moving to a new directory
after compiling.  SAGEROOT seems to get hard coded.  Thus, our normal
procedure of building in /tmp/SBo/sage-x.y.z creates binaries that can
only be run from /tmp/SBo/sage-x.y.z and moving the tree to /opt/sage
results in an error message

ERROR: The Sage installation tree has moved
from /tmp/SBO/sage-8,1
  to /opt/sage

stating that you cannot move the compiled tree to a new location -
either use prebuilt binaries or recompile.

Now, the question is: How does upstream create relocatable binaries?
What is the patch process?

Otherwise, we will have to compile in /opt/sage and then create a
package from that tree location.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know.
-Ed