[Slackbuilds-users] using SlackBuilds listserv/newsgroup and sbopkg?

David Melik dchmelik at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 13:26:27 UTC 2018

After big changes to Gmane last year or two, I rejoined this listserv,
but unsubscribed, just reading in the newsgroup and archives.  I also
preferred to post in the newsgroup, but is that now impossible
(read-only?)  I'd like to have cross-posted to the next part to
news://gmane.linux.slackware.sbopkg and maybe some general Slackware
news-/discussion-group (well, I still use the Usenet one, not usually as
much as Linux Questions web-forum.)

Some years ago I told an older friend (who got me into IBM-compatible
PCs, now incorrectly a.k.a. 'PCs,' as also Apples/etc., laptops, pads,
phones are grouped under the term) how I hate how installation
(Slackware installer, sbopkg, etc.) with GNU Dialog looks like 1980s
versions of DOS on 80x25 screen but with the text box fit within to
'look nice' (actually look like Windows windows, perhaps, which should
be criticized) but is just super-small.  It was fine for me 21 years
ago, not now.  He commented, he knows how he could easily alter
installers so they fit or even automatically resize to largest VESA text
modes and newer screens, but said he's 'too busy slacking' (yet deals
with this in the installer and sbopkg, agrees with me) then switched to
avoiding computers except at work, and using some newer garbage systemd
distro.  After he told me, I spent hours looking in the sbopkg code
(maybe even Slackware installer,) reading about Dialog, maybe even tried
a couple things (didn't work,) but it was just too difficult for me to
be able to resize.  Would anyone else be able to try that and submit
patches?

Surely at least some other text mode is considered standard now, or even
if not necessarily resizable, wouldn't passing a size
argument/flag/switch option be better?  Also really, the current case of
maybe 8/9 the screen just being blue background is almost useless.  I
like the large background option in Slackware's installer (as long as I
'install all,' since one must, to get help on freenode IRC ##slackware,
but there are other installation situations) but not in sbopkg.  Even
Slackware's installer, I think, resizes text boxes for huge descriptions
of packages.

Many/most software descriptions just go past the end of the small line
in sbopkg, yet every few weeks/months, I love just going through entire
software categories in sbopkg to double-check what else I want to
install.  Usually I find several or 10+ things (if you don't even count
dependencies,) but sometimes it's impossible to read or becomes to
stressful (reading hundreds of lines fast in a small area) to get to the
end, so I know I also miss many things I'd have installed or had been
spending months looking for.  So, the state of being able to install
nowadays, it's just almost unusable.