[Slackbuilds-users] New layout of https://slackbuilds.org/

Jim Diamond Jim.Diamond at acadiau.ca
Tue Jan 23 17:54:43 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 12:20 (-0500), B Watson wrote:

> On 1/23/18, Jim Diamond wrote:
>> You are right that turning line feeds into <br /> seems like a bad idea.

> The descriptions are plain text, and sometimes have things like bulleted
> or numbered lists, done in text.

>   - Like this
>   - And this

> Some of them even have ASCII art... I shot myself in the foot on this
> issue with a script that reformatted all the READMEs to make them
> "better".

>> But why remove the line feeds?  Unless they are in pre-formatted text
>> are they not just white-space to HTML?

> IIRC, the descriptions used to be inside a <pre> tag.

> Now they're not, so there has to be a way to preserve the formatting. What
> else is there besides <pre> or adding a <br> at the end of each line?

I see that (some) are inside a <pre> tag.  Here is the start of qt5's blurb:

    <h2>
      qt5 (5.7.1)    </h2>
    <pre>Qt is a cross-platform C++ application framework. Qt's
    primary feature<br />is its rich set of widgets that provide
    standard GUI functionality.<br /><br />Optional dependencies:
    unixodbc, freetds, OpenAL, libwebp, opus, snappy,<br />wayland,
    and postgresql<br /><br />Optional

> (That's not a rhetorical question, I haven't paid attention to HTML
> standards for the last 15 or so years, so maybe there's a proper solution
> I never heard of?)
Maybe there is some web page whizz who can answer your question.  I
occasionally do things like
        <ul>
            <li>unnumbered list item 1</li>
            <li>unnumbered list item 2</li>
            <li>unnumbered list item 3</li>
            <li>unnumbered list item 4</li>
        </ul>
but since I avoid writing HTML like the plague, this is probably some
old-fashioned, pooh-poohed way of doing things.

                                Ji