[Slackbuilds-users] ANNOUNCE: Qemu SBo script follows even branch stable releases

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 00:39:44 UTC 2018

On 01/28/2018 01:10 PM, Andrzej Telszewski wrote:
> On 28/01/18 01:17, King Beowulf wrote:
>> FYI:
>> I'm following the qemu even number stable release schedule. Trying to
>> keep up with interleaved odd and even branches is nuts.  I also can't
>> find any information of why qemu devs do this, since all development in
>> in git master not a "dev branch". If anyone knows why qemu does this,
>> please let me know.
>
> Ed, I don't exactly understand what you mean? ;-)
>
> I always grab the latest versioned tarball from:
> https://www.qemu.org/download/#source
>
> (as of now, 2.11.0) and build from it.
>
> Is there any info on what is considered to be stable and what
> development release?

No idea. 2.11.0 was released Dec 13th 2017.  By date 2.10.2 (Dec 18th
2017) is "newest" and from what I can gather so far git master is
development and both 2.10.x and 2.11.x are the stable branches (or
tags...).  Reading the changelogs and planning/2.1x just confuses as it
looks almost as though 2 different groups pull from the same master but
go their own path. There's no explanation as far as I can find.

2.11.0 2017-11-07 hard feature freeze
2.10.0 2017-07-25 hard feature freeze

BUT, they don't seem to stick with that as 2.10.2 lists a lot of
additions/deletions... The only thing that makes sense is if they are
patching a release for those that can't upgrade qemu as much and need
more code stability?

I just got tired of leapfrogging back and forth...

-Ed