[Slackbuilds-users] Repology: a way to track potential updates

Tim Dickson dickson.tim at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 2 12:21:52 UTC 2018

... and this list well knows that some packages can't be "the latest"
because of breakage with stock slackware packages, or other
compatibility or stability reasons with other packages.
Regarding the issue Didier raised, i'm sure he has raised it with the
build provider, and this list ? It is always a good thing to raise  for
testing when a library which is used by lots of other builds is due an
update, to avoid those sort of issues.  I seem to remember ffmpeg update
was done this way. Repeating Petar,  the intention was not to provoke.
after all, we're used to projects who upgrade library dependencies which
are more recent than what is available on sbo or slackware, leaving us
to try and patch them, just to get the software working, because
upstream don't want to keep older compatibility.
These issues appear both ways.
I still like having all builds presented together as repology.org does,
even if sometimes you have to say  software X is "older" because of Y;
and if there is an issue with version detection, they are generally good
at updating it if you let them know.
regards, Tim