[Slackbuilds-users] qt5 is sorely in need of an update

David Woodfall dave at dawoodfall.net
Fri Jul 6 02:41:27 UTC 2018

On Tuesday 3 July 2018 12:14,
Larry Hajali <larryhaja at gmail.com> put forth the proposition:
> On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 11:03 AM B Watson <yalhcru at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 7/3/18, orbea at fredslev.dk <orbea at fredslev.dk> wrote:
> > >
> > > When programs I use will soon no longer support releases older than
> > > 5.9 I can not complain to them that it will no longer build in
> > > Slackware because by all means we should of updated literally years
> > > ago...
> >
> > You (or whoever) could submit a qt59 or qt5-new or something like that,
> > and the stuff that requires qt 5.9 or newer could list that as a dep.
> >
> > That, or if the old qt5 maintainer's OK with the change, rename the
> > existing qt5 to qt5-legacy and someone can submit a new qt5 build and
> > keep it up to date. Anything that won't build with the new qt5 has the
> > dep changed to qt5-legacy (more work that the previous option).
> >
> > Is the problem just that the maintainer's gone missing, or is he answering
> > emails and giving out a reason why he won't update the build?
> >
> I'm here and I did respond if you look at this email chain.
>
> Issue is that newer PyQt5 versions rely on a newer version of sip that
> comes with Slackware 14.2.  Last I remember someone was going to look at
> packaging a newer sip pacakge that can either replace or run alongside the
> stock sip package in Slackware 14.2.  I don't have time to investigate this.
>
> If the ultimate goal is to have a new version of qt5, than someone can
> create a package called qt59 or whatever to satisfy a dependency.  If
> someone does take over qt5 and upgrade then it would be up to them to make
> sure the dependencies work after the update.  Upgrading a package like qt5
> is a big ask as it is a big package itself to compile and there are
> multiple dependencies to test.
>
> --Larry

OK. I've got what looks like a working build for sip-4.19.6. I've
named it python2-sip.

PyQt5 built with it without complaining. I tested with Qt5-5.9.2 but I
will try with 5.10.1 and 5.11 next.

Larry, I've also uploaded your PyQt5 slackbuild with the
modifications needed. The .info has the download URL for PyQt5-5.9.2.

The only issue I had was finding a more up-to-date Qt5-webkit because
there only seems to be some rc version for 5.9 at the location in
the original .info, so I used my build of the fork by annulen. 5.7.1
wouldn't build. Unless you know of a link to an upstream release of
5.9.x?

I haven't tested this with anything yet, so this is a call for
testers please.

Link: http://dawoodfall.net/testing/

-Dave

--