[Slackbuilds-users] mupdf and dynamic vs. static linking

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 16:24:48 UTC 2018

On 6/24/18, Thomas Morper <thomas at beingboiled.info> wrote:

> I think so. I've been using the patch since mupdf 1.10a (Jan 2017) when I
> first noticed how huge the package had become. Since then a new patch was
> readily available whenever the SlackBuild was upgraded.

Good deal. I kinda wish you'd mentioned the patch back then... I added
shared lib support in 1.2, but dropped it in 1.5 because the old patch
wouldn't apply and it seemed like too much work to maintain my own. Since
then, the library has bloated by 400% while I've been procrastinating.

Actually I didn't use the LFS patch as-is. It doesn't version the
libraries, which means any time upstream changes the ABI and we upgrade
the package, any apps linked with it will likely segfault.

I added versioning (libmupdf.so.113.0, with symlinks as usual) so instead
of a segfault we'll get "cannot load shared object"... which is a pretty
good clue that the app needs rebuilding. Wrote probably-too-detailed
documentation, at least partly for myself (so I don't forget why I
did that).

The good news is, the LFS patch is actually pretty simple. If they
stopped producing them, I understand how roll my own shared lib patch now.