[Slackbuilds-users] Sage build still broken?

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 01:35:17 UTC 2018

On 02/25/2018 11:02 AM, Didier Spaier wrote:
> Hello,
--snip---
> I just unpacked  a git archive then ran:
>
> tar xf sage-8.1.tar.gz
> cd sage-8.1
> ./configure | tee /tmp/config.LOG
> time make 2>/tmp/sageERR |tee /tmp/sageLOG
>
> I attach config.LOG but not sageLOG, too heavy (25M), but here is hw it ends:
>
>> Testing that Sage starts...
>> [2018-02-06 23:26:22] SageMath version 8.1, Release Date: 2017-12-07
>> This looks like the first time you are running Sage.
>> Cleaning up, do not interrupt this.
>> Done cleaning.
>> Yes, Sage starts.
>> make[2] : on quitte le répertoire « /tmp/sage-8.1/build/make »
>> make[1] : on quitte le répertoire « /tmp/sage-8.1/build/make »
>>
>> real	257m49.177s
>> user	262m42.133s
>> sys	11m29.261s
>> Sage build/upgrade complete!

...snip

> It worked here, that's all I know.

pulling down the source, extracting to a directory, compiling as a
regular user in that directory and then running from that SAME directory
has always worked. That's what those knuckle heads want us to do. The
issue is getting the package built for installation to /opt/sage (or any
other $SAGEROOT).  This is what I have so far:

MACHINE A
1. download and extract to /tmp/SBo/sage-8.1
2. cd /tmp/SBo/sage-8.1, configure/compile
3. move bits to /tmp/SBo/package-sage and create package (/opt/sage tree)
4. installpkg /tmp/sage-8.1-x86_64-1_SBo.tgz
It seems that you are attempting to run Sage from an unpacked source
(ok since doinst.sh runs sage as root to set new paths?)

5. login as regular user
cd /opt/sage
./sage

WHOO-HOO runs!!!

MACHINE B
1. copy over nfs to 2nd machine, same Slackware
2. installpkg /tmp/sage-8.1-x86_64-1_SBo.tgz
It seems that you are attempting to run Sage from an unpacked source
3.
$ cd /opt/sage
$ ./sage
It seems that you are attempting to run Sage from an unpacked source
tarball, but you have not compiled it yet (or maybe the build has not
finished). You should run `make` in the Sage root directory first.
If you did not intend to build Sage from source, you should download
a binary tarball instead. Read README.txt for more information.
$

WTF????

THAT is the problem I can't seem to figure out or understand WTF sage is
doing. sage continues to run on MACHINE A (build box) even after
deleting the /tmp/SBo directories so its not like its looking at those.
The created package ONLY runs on MACHINE A where is was built.

-Ed