[Slackbuilds-users] ARM download links and the syncthing slackbuild.

Ythogtha yth at ythogtha.org
Mon Mar 19 09:58:17 UTC 2018

Good morning slackbuild !

	today I want to ask for a optional change in the .info files of the
slackbuilds.
The problem is for slackbuilds with specific download links for non-x86 targets.
There are already the DOWNLOAD_x86_64 and MD5SUM_x86_64 lines for packages that
have a different source file for x86 and x86_64.

	Specifically, the syncthing slackbuild repackages the official binaries,
so the DOWNLOAD_x86_64 is used. But syncthing works very well on ARM targets,
and is quite useful on small SoC computers like RPi or XU4.
	There is nothing really problematic with adapting the
syncthing.slackbuild to handle making an ARM package, but the DOWNLOAD_ARM -
there, I wrote it - is notavailable, neither is its MD5.

	So, I know that slackbuilds does not officially support ARM platform,
but it does not not support it either, a lot of slackbuilds works just fine on
slackwarearm, which is good.
	Here I'm not asking for anybody to make any effort to make sure their
slackbuilds are building fine on ARM, but just to allow an optional modification
of the .info file to add those two lines :
DOWNLOAD_ARM=""
MD5SUM_ARM=""
Those two lines could be optional, but their syntax should be official, if there
is another package that may need them.

	It shouldn't disrupt anything, nothing changes really, only for tools,
or people, willing to handle ARM when there is something to handle, they can do
it. Else everybody can just ignore those lines and nothing changes.

	Granted, today, I know only of one slackbuild with this specific issue,
syncthing, but that should make it easier to allow for an optional way to handle
ARM platforms in the future, should we want to do it.

Have a nice day :)

--
Arnaud <yth at ythogtha.org>