[Slackbuilds-users] Plex version too old

JCA 1.41421 at gmail.com
Fri May 4 16:16:19 UTC 2018

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 9:47 AM, Willy Sudiarto Raharjo <
willysr at slackbuilds.org> wrote:

> > Having tried that a few times in the past, I think that approach all too
> > often will amount to wasting two weeks. On this basis, and as a matter
> > of principle, I would have thought that a conscientious maintainer ought
> > to keep track of this forum precisely for this kind of issues. In fact,
> > it seems to be the case that such maintainers already do so.
> >
> > To put it in a nutshell, don't you think that one of the duties of a
> > package maintainer ought to be to keep track of this forum?
>
> While that's the ideal situation, please note that we are all doing this
> in our free time. We don't get paid by doing it, so please have respect
> if they have to deal with real-life first.
>
> As others have said, you are free to modify the SlackBuild and report
> back to us if you managed to fix them and let the maintainer knows about
> it. If they didn't step up, feel free to take over.

Quite. But, like I said, no kudos is due when somebody claims to do
something in their free time, and then they don't do what they claim, or
they do it shoddily.

Let me suggest something. The Slackbuilds home page contains some text with
appropriate disclaimers. I would propose to add the following to this page,
in a big font, so nobody will miss it:

"The Slackbuilds team makes no guarantees about the quality of the
packages. We hope that you will be able to download and build the relevant
software, but we cannot guarantee it. We also hope that the software will
run properly, but we can also not guarantee it. First, there may be
problems with the upstream feed, over which we have we no control
whatsoever. Second, since their contribution is totally voluntary and
unpaid, we can also not guarantee that package maintainers are, in fact,
maintaining their packages. In this sense, we can't be held responsible for
the potential lack of maintenance of packages, and any subsequent
inconveniences that this may cause."

I believe that this accurately describes what one can expect from
Slackbuilds. There is no point in concealing it, if  nothing can reasonably
be done to change the status quo. Slackbuilds will remain tremendously
useful, but this will make it clear to newcomers what its limitations are.
Reality is the way it is, and not the way we would like it to be. Is this
not a fair deal?