[Slackbuilds-users] several builds crashing looking for old libwebp

David Melik dchmelik at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 07:08:46 UTC 2018

Thanks, B and Matteo for replies.  I hadn't seen the duplicate post
until I checked Gmane; I wish listserv didn't accept posts from my other
email address (not a member.)  Is it possible yet to post on Gmane?

On Tue, 02 Oct 2018 05:56:30 -0400, B Watson wrote:
 > [...] OK, a bit more investigation reveals that notepadqq and kvirc both
 > require qt5-webkit. And qt5-webkit lists libwebp as an optional
 > dependency, in its README.
 >
 > So what happened here is you built some version of libwebp, then built
 > qt5-webkit afterwards... and then you (possibly months later) upgraded
 > libwebp. But qt5-webkit was still trying to find the old libwebp, which
 > is gone...
 > [...]
 > Generally you can figure this kind of runtime linking problem out by
 > using ldd... or, even better, get lddsafe from here:
 >
 > https://github.com/rg3/lddsafe

Thanks; looking that up now.

 > [...]
 > It's not "poor source code" and it's not "SlackBuilds done wrong",
 > and it's kinda rude of you to say that, considering you're lacking some
 > fundamental knowledge that would qualify you to actually make that
 > judgement.
 >
 > Your original post should probably have been a request for help, without
 > trying to place the blame on anyone. In fact, the blame is on you,
 > *your* system was in an inconsistent state. Hopefully I've helped you to
 > fix it and learn how to diagnose and fix it on your own next time.
 >
 > Please try to take this as constructive criticism, not flaming.

I'm not flaming, just paraphrasing 'If NotepadQQ looks for libwebp at
runtime that is a "runtime dependency" and the idiots upstream (either
NotepadQQ or qt5-webkit) should be looking for libwebp.so not
libwebp.so.x. Install everything for BOINC, including libwebp-1.0.0.
Then just create a libwebp.so.6 symlink to libwebp.so'--King Beowulf (on
his LQ BOINC thread.)

On Tue, 02 Oct 2018 12:50:56 +0200, Matteo Bernardini wrote:
 > if qt5 and qt5-webkit depends on libwebp you should build first libwebp
 > and then qt5 and then qt5-webkit (that depends on qt5), this is
 > necessary for a program/library using a dependency to link to it at
 > build-time.
 > I wrote "built against it" meaning "built linking to it", both forms are
 > often used on this mailing list, irc or the LQ forum.

Ok, thanks; doing that now.