[Slackbuilds-users] SBo PyPanel is bugged on Slackware64

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Thu Dec 12 11:06:29 UTC 2019

On 12/12/2019 11:49 AM, Peter Dambier wrote:

> On 12/11/2019 07:43 PM, Matteo Bernardini wrote:
>> Il giorno mer 11 dic 2019 alle ore 19:26 flinchx via SlackBuilds-users
>> <slackbuilds-users at slackbuilds.org> ha scritto:
>>>
>>> I took the liberty to skip contacting the maintainer first, because
>>> according to the ChangeLog, all changes except the very first one
>>> were made by other people.
>>>
>>> I don't know if anybody still uses this ancient software (I didn't
>>> and I won't, just tried it out of curiousity), maybe there's someone
>>> who does it on a legacy 32bit system. Point is it doesn't work
>>> properly on a 64bit system: it builds fine, but if you run it from
>>> console, you can see it fails to access the imlib2 library, because
>>> it has /usr/lib hardcoded, while Slackware64 uses /usr/lib64.
>>>
>>> Personally I would prefer to have it purged from SBo, at least in
>>> 15.0 if nobody uses it. I fully accept the responsibility for
>>> spending time trying it, but if it wasn't there (since it doesn't
>>> work on Slackware64 as explained above), I surely wouldn't go as far
>>> as trying to write my own buildscript just for that.
>>>
>>> This makes me wonder how many such obsolete things are there on SBo
>>> and do other SBo users think they can stay there or should eventually
>>> get cleaned up if they have issues / nobody uses them? Perhaps in the
>>> future it will be at least possible to tag them as archived and have
>>> an option to filter them when listing/searching?
>>
>> IMHO you shouldn't have skipped the "reporting to the maintainer part"
>> as it's his duty to check if the SlackBuild is working correctly: I'll
>> put him in cc.
>>
>> Matteo
>>

> Same for me. Keep the good stuff. I have tried 64 bit several times and
> I had to come back to 32 bit always because of the stuff that was not
> working.
>
> Plain 64 bit looks nice. I tried it with gentoo, but as soon as some
> packet insists on multilib and some printer or other hardware only has
> drivers for 32 bits - things start to brake and the mess comes down in
> an avalange.
>
> Slackware is a lot easier to repair than ... and moving things built on
> one machine to the next without reemerging the world is like a free
> refill of your coffee without the expense of buying a coffee in the
> first place.
>
> Slackbuilds.org is a wonderful warehouse but I do not intend to install
> everything that is in the catalog. If you want a system where everything
> fits together, then plain Slackware 14.2 might be the right place to try.
>
> Kind regards
> peter
>
> --

Sorry for replying to my own post. To me it seems not PyPanel ist the
problem. Python should be 32/64 bit agnostic, but imlib is. Have you
tried downloading and installing imlib form SlackBuilds.org?

As root try "ldconfig". That might fix it as well.

--
Peter and Karin Dambier
Adalbert-Stifter-Strasse 17
mail: peter at peter-dambier.de