[Slackbuilds-users] Can't build nvidia-kernel-410.78 with kernel 4.4.172

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 17:18:04 UTC 2019

On 2/1/19 4:40 PM, Willy Sudiarto Raharjo wrote:
>>     Has anyone tried to build the NVIDIA proprietary kernel module for the
>>     most recent kernel (4.4.172) on Slackware-14.2? I'm getting the
>>     following error:
>
> The maintainer is aware of this issue and will soon fix it.
> Meanwhile, you can try to look over this thread on LQ
>
> https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/virtualbox-fails-to-build-drivers-for-kernel-4-4-172-a-4175647407/

I'm playing catch-up after a week in the UK for my corporate overlord.
As soon as I recover from jet lag (getting too damn old for 10+ hr
flights), I'll update my VMs and have a look.

Nvidia also has a newer version as well that fixes kernel compile issues:

Version: 	410.93
Release Date: 	2019.1.3

This long-lived-branch now includes a number of kernel compile fixes
from the short-lived-branch.

The legacy versions my be another issue.  I have older NVidia GPUs, but
nothing to stick them into to test.  At this point, if you need
nvidia-legacy you must NOT upgrade your kernel.

-Ed