[Slackbuilds-users] Merging python / python3 packages

Ed Ender skaendo at excite.com
Tue Feb 19 10:32:06 UTC 2019

-----Original Message-----
From: "Matteo Bernardini" [matteo.bernardini at gmail.com]
Date: 02/19/2019 04:15 AM
To: "SlackBuilds.org Users List" <slackbuilds-users at slackbuilds.org>
Subject: Re: [Slackbuilds-users] Merging python / python3 packages

>IMHO, I think unfortunately this won't be possible completely as lots
>of stuff will still be python-2.x only also in jan 2020, but at least
>this won't be a distro-specific issue and, who knows, maybe someone
>interested in the meantime might step in for support...

>Matteo

I completely agree that it will not be possible to completely move away from
python 2 immediately, but I think that what can be built with python 3 should
be, and drop any python 2 packages that are no longer needed.

I don't think that it is such a good idea to merge python2/3 packages if
python2 is not going to be maintained, and the python2 packages are no longer
needed.

I guess that I'm just trying to look to the future and not make/have a huge
clusterfuck to deal with later.

Ed