[Slackbuilds-users] Merging python / python3 packages

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 22:37:17 UTC 2019

On 2/19/19, Benjamin Trigona-Harany <slackbuilds at jaxartes.net> wrote:

> As Matteo mentioned, it's come up a few times on the list if you check
> the archives. I'm strongly in favour of merging 2/3 into single
> SlackBuilds and while this will mostly happen during the freeze before
> 15.0, maintainers can start doing it now if they are comfortable making
> Python 3 a *mandatory* dependency for their SlackBuilds. I'm doing it
> for a lot of my Python scripts, e.g.
> https://git.slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/commit/?h=14.2&id=e41084eb60be64574dca5a993bb9ca3ceef6a1ea

Why does it have to be mandatory?

Currently we have in the template:

  python setup.py install --root=$PKG

Just after (or just before) this line, add this:

  python3 -c 0 &>/dev/null && python3 setup.py install --root=$PKG

In other words actually check for the existence of python3. I've done
this for a few (as yet unsubmitted) python libraries and it works for
them at least.