[Slackbuilds-users] vlc slackbuild

Christoph Willing chris.willing at linux.com
Sun Feb 24 01:26:32 UTC 2019

On 24/2/19 10:06 am, Tim Dickson via SlackBuilds-users wrote:

> On 23/02/2019 03:17, Christoph Willing wrote:

>>> I've now also tried the other way around, enable wayland and disable
>>> opencv (legacy) and it now runs without seg-faulting, which is the
>>> opposite result of your test!. I'm open to more suggestions, although at
>>> least it runs now,
>>>
>> I finished building wayland enabled (but otherwise standard) qt5 and vlc
>> in a stock 14.2 x86_64 VM with opencv-legacy. It runs normally - no
>> segfault and I can play a test video with it.
>>
>> When run it from a terminal, the only new output is:
>>      libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate
>> but it has no apparent effect to the running vlc.
>>
>> Since you're segfault-free after removing opencv-legacy, I guess that's
>> the place to look for a cause - perhaps some exotic option it's built
>> with?
> (looking at opencv-legacy, I built it will all options, including ffmpeg
> which is a recursive dependency via frie0r)

Maybe that is an issue - I never attempt to resolve that recursion. I
choose to build opencv with ffmpeg support since I can accept that may
be useful. I don't see how ffmpeg could benefit (for me) from opencv
support so I don't bother with that.

> Although without opencv , vlc starts up ok, when I try to play an mp4
> video file i get
>
> codec not supported
> VLC could not decode the format "h264" (H264 -MPEG-4 AVC (part 10))
>
> despite the fact that vlc and ffmpeg have been compiled with everything
> (all required and optional dependencies) except libva and
> libva-intel-driver
> (as I use amd apu's.)

I just tried (with both my "normal" vlc and the wayland enabled vlc
running in a VM) the box.mp4 and cup.mp4 that come in
/usr/doc/opencv-4.0.1/html (although not in opencv-legacy) and both play
fine, apart from a bad/noisy audio track in cup.mp4.

Both my bare metal and VM systems contain libva and libva-intel-driver
packages but I don't believe they have any effect since the bare metal
system runs the nvidia binary blob for a physical nvidia card while the
VM (qemu-kvm) has it's own virtual video output.

When you say you build with everything "except libva and
libva-intel-driver" do you mean they are not installed? If you don't
have the libva* packages, which are part of a full Slackware-14.2
installation, I wonder if you are building/running without some other
standard packages which may have impacted on your builds of vlc and it's
many dependencies?

chris