[Slackbuilds-users] vlc slackbuild

Tim Dickson dickson.tim at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 25 11:32:18 UTC 2019

On 25/02/2019 02:47, Christoph Willing wrote:
> On 24/2/19 9:50 pm, Tim Dickson via SlackBuilds-users wrote:

I did notice that using installpkg of the vlc with different build
options instead of removepkg then installpkg when recompiling with, then
without opencv-legacy caused an issue in that opencv files were left in
/usr/lib64/vlc/plugins which continued to cause the problem. I had to do
a removepkg, then clean (rm -r) that directory, before installpkg again
in order to get vlc to start.

>>> Maybe that is an issue - I never attempt to resolve that recursion. I
>>> choose to build opencv with ffmpeg support since I can accept that may
>>> be useful. I don't see how ffmpeg could benefit (for me) from opencv
>>> support so I don't bother with that.
>>>
> To test whether the recursive dependency of ffmpeg is an issue here, I
> rebuilt the relevant packages several times as follows, including tests
> of (rebuilt) vlc shown in square brackets:
>
> ffmpeg        (no build opts)
> opencv-legacy (no build opts)
> frei0r
> ffmpeg        FREI0R=yes OPENCV=yes
> opencv-legacy CVFFMPEG=yes
> frei0r
> [ vlc         OPENCV=yes WAYLAND=yes ]
> ffmpeg        FREI0R=yes OPENCV=yes
> [ vlc         OPENCV=yes WAYLAND=yes ]
> opencv-legacy CVFFMPEG=yes
> [ vlc         OPENCV=yes WAYLAND=yes ]
>
> At all test points, I couldn't find any problem with vlc, including
> playing of mp4 files.

helpful, thanks.
I did..
create ffmpeg with no vars
create quicktime, mjpegtools, transcode, vid.stab, opencv-legacy, frei0r
ffmpeg with all vars ( ASS=yes BS2B=yes CELT=yes CHROMAPRINT=yes
DC1394=yes EBUR128=yes FDK_AAC=yes FLITE=yes FREI0R=yes GME=yes
  GSM=yes IEC61883=yes ILBC=yes LADSPA=yes LAME=yes MODPLUG=yes
NETCDF=yes OPENAL=yes OPENCORE=yes OPENCV=yes OPENSSL=yes
  OPUS=yes RTMP=yes RUBBERBAND=yes SCHROEDINGER=yes SNAPPY=yes SPEEX=yes
TESSERACT=yes TWOLAME=yes VIDSTAB=yes WEBP=yes
  X264=yes X265=yes XVID=yes ZMQ=yes ZVBI=yes )
recreate transcode and vid.stab
ffmpeg
recreate chromaprint
ffmpeg

> I think it's worth looking at your vlc build log, looking for references
> to h264. In my log, the configuration stage says:
>
> checking for x264 >= 0.148... yes
> checking for x264 >= 0.153... no
>
> Does yours have something like that?
yes, see attached
> Feel free to attach your log (just up until configuration stage is done)
see attached section of log
> OK, thanks for clearing that up. Do you ever use slapt-get or slackpkg
> to verify that all the packages are up to date? Manual updates are all
> very good but, given the number of patches involved, error prone.
no, but I do use the feature in sbopkg that does the same sort of thing.
the only things at the moment I have on the "real" machine and not the
vm is eric's libreoffice packages, flashplayer plugin and chromium
browser with plugins.
(and I have qemu and aquemu on the vm, and not the "real" machine)
>> I  had to modify fluidsynth slackbuild adding -lpthread to
>> -DCMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS and also to -DCMAKE_SHARED_LINKER_FLAGS
>> in order for it to compile/link (thanks B. Watson)
>> and avahi user and group were created on both vm and real machine as per
>> the avahi readme.
>>
> Good that it helps but I wonder why you need this addition? I just
> rebuilt fluidsynth without it. The fact that you need it is somewhat
> concerning - it may point to some problem with your system that, in
> turn, is affecting your vlc build ...
it is because pkg-config doesn't add the -lpthread entry it needs to
when using jack2. (whereas jack-audio-connection-kit does have the
needed entry)
i don't know if it effects any other builds, but i does effect
fluidsynth built with jack2 instead of jack-audio-connection-kit, and as
jack2 is needed for some other deps, and is supposed to be plug in
compatible, that is what I used.
> chris

I can include my own build notes if that would help, although the
relevant ones are spread over building audacity and musescore as well as
vlc.
regards, Tim