[Slackbuilds-users] possible matplotlib patch

Serban Udrea serban.udrea at skmail.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu Jan 10 08:21:49 UTC 2019

On 12/6/18 9:49 AM, Serban Udrea wrote:
> On 12/4/18 5:10 PM, Fellype wrote:
>> Hi Benjamin,
>>
>> Are you using a 32-bit system? This silent fail occurred only on the machine I
>> run Slackware 32-bits, and only for the 2.x matplotlib (1.x build fine). But I
>> haven't had time to investigate the reason(s) of the fail.

Hello,

and all the best for 2019!

As it looks like the problem is with the wxPython SlackBuild which installs
version 2.8.x while newer versions of matplotlib require (if one wishes to have
wxagg) at least 2.9.x. This is something I unfortunately overlooked while
preparing the matplotlib upgrade. Many thanks go to Fellype and Benjamin for their
help!

There is quite some software depending on wxPython and the question is, if it
would have problems with a 2.9.x version or not? If not, an upgrade of the
SlackBuild is in my opinion the best solution. If yes, then one has the following
possibilities:

a) If wxagg is not needed, then disable it when building matplotlib, I will put
this as an option in the SlackBuild.

b) If wxagg is needed, then install wxPython3 in case one uses python2 or
wxPython4 in case of a python3 based install(*). In the first case one may
consider reinstalling wxPython afterwards.

Best regards,
Serban

(*) Actually, it looks like this is the only option with python3.