[Slackbuilds-users] git clone instead of downloading a source tarball

Tom Crane T.Crane at rhul.ac.uk
Thu Jan 31 18:59:31 UTC 2019

I've had a browse through the list archive and instructions at
https://slackbuilds.org/guidelines/ but can't find any relevant comment.

Could I ask: Is it at all acceptable to submit an entry which does not
download a source tarball but does a 'git clone' instead? Browsing
through existing packages I could not find any which do this but it
seems an obvious way to keep an entry up-to-date without maintainer
updates to the Slackbuild script, albeit at a higher risk of future
changes to the source breaking the build ?

Regards

Tom Crane