[Slackbuilds-users] game scribble slackbuild

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Wed Nov 6 13:51:09 UTC 2019

Hi Jude and all,

Le 06/11/2019 à 07:27, Jude DaShiell a écrit :
> I will check, but suspect the scribble game was not ported over from
> debian correctly.  Reason for this suspicion is when computer plays the
> first word it has a rack of letters.  The rack of letters is not decreased
> as a result of playing that first word.  Worse though is when it's time
> for the human to play the human doesn't get a rack of letters that show up
> on the screen anywhere.  The debug command as near as I can tell does
> nothing too.  If the game is this defective on debian then the slackbuild
> builder could not do any better with what was ported from debian otherwise
> we have a defective build on debian similar to the concept of that amish
> interactive fiction game with only one possible outcome hard wired into
> the game.  For any that haven't played that zcode game it will be quite
> short.

Well, this package is not really a port, just the source tarball comes
from Debian. Anyway the game works well for me (discarding the warning
about termcap, that seems harmless):

---Beginning of screen display---
didier[~]$ scribble
Cannot find termcap: failed termcap lookup on xterm-256color at /usr/share/perl5/Term/ReadLine.pm line 373.

Use: /usr/games/scribble <level>   (where level is 1 to 9)
Level #1 (easiest) assumed...
Reading words... (168075 found, 2039 w/ definitions)

          86 letters remain
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -     My Words
0| @     -       @       -     @ |0
1|   *       +       +       *   |1
2|     *       -   -       *     |2
3| -     *       -       *     - |3
4|         *           *         |4
5|   +       +       +       +   |5
6|     -       -   -       -     |6
7| @     -       *       -     @ |7
8|     -       -   -       -     |8  Your Words:
9|   +       +       +       +   |9
A|         *           *         |A
B| -     *       -       *     - |B
C|     *       -   -       *     |C
D|   *       +       +       *   |D
E| @     -       @       -     @ |E
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E

  me:0      E A E N A F A   you:0

I go first...
Looking...............
Thinking.

I placed at 67d:
     4  UN  - one
for a total of 4 points.

          84 letters remain
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -     My Words
0| @     -       @       -     @ |0   un(4)
1|   *       +       +       *   |1
2|     *       -   -       *     |2
3| -     *       -       *     - |3
4|         *           *         |4
5|   +       +       +       +   |5
6|     -       - U -       -     |6
7| @     -       N       -     @ |7
8|     -       -   -       -     |8  Your Words:
9|   +       +       +       +   |9
A|         *           *         |A
B| -     *       -       *     - |B
C|     *       -   -       *     |C
D|   *       +       +       *   |D
E| @     -       @       -     @ |E
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E

  me:4      E A E N A F A   you:0

Enter word as "YXd <word>" (Y=row, X=col, D=a/d) or "help" for other commands.
---end of scree display---

So the computer played first, the rack of letters was decreased from 86 to
  84 and I got the rack of letters E A E N A F A.

Maye an issue with a screen review function of the screen reader?
Which one do you use? At least her espeakup works OK.
Or do you use a Braille device?

Best,

Didier