[Slackbuilds-users] Trouble downloading from sourceforge.net

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Mon Nov 25 20:51:30 UTC 2019

On Mon, 25 Nov 2019, Matteo Bernardini wrote:

> Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 14:49:43
> From: Matteo Bernardini <matteo.bernardini at gmail.com>
> To: SlackBuilds.org Users List <slackbuilds-users at slackbuilds.org>
> Subject: Re: [Slackbuilds-users] Trouble downloading from sourceforge.net
>
> Il giorno lun 25 nov 2019 alle ore 20:35 Peter Dambier
> <peter at peter-dambier.de> ha scritto:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > e.g. from pcmanfm Slackbuild I wanted to download
> >
> > "https://downloads.sf.net/pcmanfm/pcmanfm-1.3.1.tar.xz"
> >
> > After lots of lots of redirect wget gave up.
> >
> > Trying the homepage got me into an ants nest where stupid me signed up
> > for a newsletter in the 50th floor below ground but I still could not
> > get the source.
> >
> > Google finally found it at:
> >
> > "https://downloads.sourceforge.net/pcmanfm/pcmanfm-1.3.1.tar.xz"
> >
> > Again lots of lots of redirect and finally I get it from
> >
> > "https://netcologne.dl.sourceforge.net/project/pcmanfm/PCManFM%20%2B%20Libfm%20%28tarball%20release%29/PCManFM/pcmanfm-1.3.1.tar.xz"
> >
> > The redirects for both URLs looked the same. That is why I dont think
> > there is a need to change the download in the SlackBuild.
> >
> > Horses tend to drop their manure everywhere but I remember there
> > were quite a lot of downloads that did not succeed. pcmanfm actually was
> > the first one I finally made to download after all obstacles.
> >
> > md5sum matched. pcmanfm-1.3.1-i586-1_SBo.tgz created.
> >
> > and it runs on Slackware Current 32 Bit.
> >
> > Sorry for the rant but I had to vent because if I had blown my top like
> > SpaceX did with Starship MK 1, I would look really silly :)
>
> maybe is a temporary problem at SourceForge, it happens sometimes.
>
> remember that there's a backup hosting for the tarballs linked here at
> SBo, sbosrcarch (courtesy of Urchlay and hosted by Tadgy)
>
> http://slackware.uk/sbosrcarch/

The line I have in my sf.sh takes care of that:
wget -bc $1 --max-redirect=10000 --trust-server-names

Once that's started you check on it these ways.
First wc -l wget-log if it's larger than 6 lines the download is probably
working.
Then every so often:
grep -i saved wget-log
Nothing back from grep the download is still in progress.
When saved appears you get the file information including the correct
name of the file on your system.
That's what that --trust-server-names switch does for you.  I hope this
helps.