[Slackbuilds-users] How am I to handle two Apache Ant versions?

Jeremy Hansen jebrhansen+SBo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 02:24:01 UTC 2019

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019, 2:32 PM Luc Van Rompaey <luc.vanrompaey at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have recently taken up maintenance of the apache-ant SlackBuild.
>
> The "apache-ant" SlackBuild currently installs Apache Ant 1.9.14, which is
> the latest release of the 1.9.x development line. It can be used without
> further prerequisites on Slackware 14.2, in which case it will work with
> the Java5 runtime provided by GCC.
>
> There is also an Apache Ant 1.10.x line, which the developers recommend.
> However, this version requires at least a Java8 runtime and, consequently,
> it will have (at least) OpenJDK 8 as a prerequisite.
>
> I would like, therefore, to provide a SlackBuild for each of these two Ant
> development lines, pretty much similar to the three OpenJDK versions that
> are available in SlackBuilds: openjdk6, openjdk7, and openjdk8.
>
> Like the OpenJDK versions, I would, thus, append some indication of the
> Ant version to the SlackBuild (and also the resulting Slackware package)
> name.
>
> My idea would be, to replace the current "apache-ant" SlackBuild with,
> say, "apache-ant-1.9" and to submit a new SlackBuild, e.g.,
> "apache-ant-1.10".
>
> Would this be a correct way to proceed? If so, would "apache-ant-1.9" and
> "apache-ant-1.10" be acceptable as SlackBuild (and Slackware package)
> names?
>
> Thanks in advance for any comments,
> Luc Van Rompaey.

I can't speak for the admins, but there shouldn't be any problem with
having two versions as long you don't break existing programs.

But to simplify, you may want to consider leaving the 1.9 version as just
apache-ant and then have the new one be apache-ant-1.10. This way you don't
need to go through and adjust all the SlackBuilds that already require
apache-ant
to be apache-ant-1.9. Or if the intention is to eventually get rid of the
1.9 version (even if it is for 15.0's release), it may be worth labeling
that as legacy and making the 1.10 version the primary, but you'd need to
check packages and make sure they work or have their REQUIRES line be
adjusted to apache-ant-legacy.

If they aren't compatible with each other, make sure it is mentioned in the
respective READMEs.

Good luck
Jeremy