[Slackbuilds-users] vokoscreen (2.5.0)

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 19:18:16 UTC 2020

On 4/12/20, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

> "And it seems that vokoscreen has been forgotten to transfer to an new
> owner, after I told the slackbuilds mailing list that I cannot maintain my
> build scripts anymore.

This is a common thread... someone abandons their builds, posts to the
mailing list saying so. People step up and say "I'll take over X, Y,
and Z" but then they don't follow up by sending in an update with their
name/email in the .info file. Months or years later, the old maintainer
is still listed as the current one, and he keeps getting emails for stuff
he's already publically abandoned. And the new maintainer has possibly
forgotten he's supposed to be the maintainer...

I'm as guilty as anyone of this, volunteering to take stuff and then
forgetting I said it. So there's 2 ways to fix this:

1. As soon as you volunteer to take over a build, send in an update
   with your name/email in the .info file. Do this immediately (or
   sooner!), because if you wait a couple days, you'll forget.

2. The admins monitoring the list can change the .info files and
   push the changes to git.

As much as I hate policy and process, I think we should decide on one
or the other approach and stick to it rigorously.

Thoughts? This is open to the whole list, not just admins.