[Slackbuilds-users] Problem building Qt5

Dave Woodfall dave at slackbuilds.org
Sun Apr 19 19:25:20 UTC 2020

On 2020-04-19 12:16,
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> put forth the proposition:
> On Sun, 19 Apr 2020, B Watson wrote:
>
> > That looks like it was a huge link. Taking more than an hour is normal,
> > especially if it's having to use swap.
>
> B.
>
> I've 32G memory here and little else running.
>
> > Before you killed it, did you check CPU usage (e.g. with "top")? It
> > should have been pegging one core at 100%.
>
> Yes, I looked at top and didn't see sbopkg or any process that looked
> relevant in the half-minute or so I watched; didn't specifically look for
> memory use.
>
> > More patience. And/or more RAM, if you can.
>
> Okay.
>
> I've put off replacing the 32G RAM with 64G because I'm focused on
> developing more business (despite the pandemic and economic shutdown). 32G
> should be enough.

32G is more than enough for Qt5.  With that much you could make a
tmpfs of perhaps 8G for /tmp, and that may help a bit with speed,
especially when large tarballs are being extracted.  You must
remember to move anything out that you want to keep before rebooting
or shutting down though.

Added to that, have you read my README.ccache and tried setting it up
in the system?  You will save a *lot* of time on rebuilds with ccache
working.

Hope this helps.

--
Dave

The antibloat squad!
For those interested in no bloat, minimal desktop Linux
gopher://tty1.uk/1/?minimal-linux
http://tty1.uk/minimal-linux
#minimallinux @ chat.freenode.net