[Slackbuilds-users] Numpy3

Christoph Willing chris.willing at linux.com
Sun Apr 19 22:44:22 UTC 2020

On 20/4/20 8:13 am, Jeremy Hansen wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 19, 2020, 4:00 PM Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
> <mailto:rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>> wrote:
>
>     N.B.: I sent this to Chris' email address but it was rejected for an SPF
>     issue. My postfix SPF passes port25.com <http://port25.com>'s tests
>     and has not before been
>     questioned or rejected by anyone, including prior messages to him.
>     Also, the
>     IP address shown in the bounced message is not mine. So, I'm posting the
>     message here.
>

>     Chris,
>
>     The SBo repo has numpy3-1.14.3 while -1.18.2 is available. Is there
>     a reason
>     the new version is not available for 14.2?
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Rich
>

> I try to keep all my python3 package versions in sync with their python2
> counterparts, and this may be the case here. You may want to check with
> the numpy maintainer to see if they've not upgraded it for a specific
> reason.
>
> But some maintainers choose to not upgrade to minimize the chances of
> breakage, so you may want to provide a specific reason why you want it
> upgraded (to install X software, it requires at least version x.xx).

Hi Rich,

Your other email arrived OK - I just replied separately to it.

About numpy3, the reason for not upgrading is (as Jeremy suggested) to
maintain version sync with numpy. Numpy  is maintained by someone who
prefers stability over updates for no reason other than their
availability. If you have a particular reason for wanting/needing a
newer version, I'm sure the maintainer would be amenable to an update;
then I could update numpy3.

chris