[Slackbuilds-users] /usr/include/python3.7 or 3.7m ?

Christoph Willing chris.willing at linux.com
Fri Apr 24 12:18:35 UTC 2020

On 24/4/20 7:45 pm, Tim Dickson via SlackBuilds-users wrote:
> i've a reasonable collection of python .sbo packages installed, and
> sip.h is the only file in /usr/include/python3.7
> which is from stock slackware 14.2 sip-4.18 package
> Regards, Tim

Thanks all for the replies confirming the python3 include directories.

Tim, I think you mean /usr/include/python2.7 for the sip.h from stock
Slackware sip-4.18-x86_64-1 package?

If you have a /usr/include/python3.7/sip.h (the one which should be in
/usr/include/python3.7m) then it's from the SBo python3-sip SlackBuild.

I emailed the maintainer a few days ago with a version-independent
method to install in the correct location but haven't heard back about
it yet (so cc'd here now as a reminder). I just thought I should also
check here in case there was something whacky about my own setup but
based on the feedback, as well as noticing that AlienBob's python3
package uses /usr/include/python3.7m, I"m sure now that the problem is
with the python3-sip SlackBuild. It looks very close to the SlackBuild
in -current but of course -current uses python 3.8 where the issue has
been fixed, rather than python 3.7 as on SBo.

chris

> On 24/04/2020 09:51, MyRequiem wrote:
>> Re: Christoph Willing 24.04.2020
>> <74588ed6-9214-79c1-3b2b-9fb252a5779d at linux.com>
>>> At the moment, SBo builds of python3 on both my daily machine and a
>>> clean VM result in the include files being placed into
>>> /usr/include/python3.7m (rather than a plain /usr/include/python3.7).
>>>
>>> Apparently the different paths signified use (or non-use) of an internal
>>> memory allocator which is on by default but controllable using the
>>> --with(out)-pymalloc configure option when building python3. I've tested
>>> this and the --without-pymalloc does result in /usr/include/pyton3.7
>>> (not python3.7m).
>>>
>>> BTW this behaviour has changed in 3.8 where everything goes into
>>> /usr/include/pyton3.8 (see -current, also see
>>> https://bugs.python.org/issue36707).
>>>

>>> Before proceeding here with a complaint about other packages wrongly
>>> hard coding python-related .h files into /usr/include/python3.7, rather
>>> than python3.7m, could people first confirm that their python3
>>> installation is using /usr/include/python3.7m, as mine does, please?
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> chris