[Slackbuilds-users] Updates - 20201206.1

Barry J. Grundy bgrundy at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 13:29:27 UTC 2020

On 12/7/20 6:53 AM, Luiz Carlos Ramos wrote:
> Hello, Barry,
>
> just out of curiosity, in your system, if you type javac -version, what
> do you get?
>
> In my system, it gave me things like:
>
>    javac 1.7.0_281
>
> or for the java runtime:
>
>    java version "1.7.0_281"
>    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.6.24) (Slackware)
>    OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.281-b01, mixed mode)
>
> I traced these packages and in fact they belong to an OpenJDK (from
> Alien's repository) which obviously is not in the stock Slackware
> install.
>
> Anyway, in the build process some Java code was processed and it has
> code constructions which are not supported in Java 1.7.
>
> Now I feel that if the system has no Java installed at all, maybe the
> build process skips all these Java thing. To verify this, I would take
> some time to do it; so I won't try.
>
> At the INSTALL.txt, it is stated that Java is needed only to build "Java
> bindings". This may give some support to my "feeling" stated above.
>
> A more simpler test would be setting a system with Java 1.7 compiler
> (this is easy to do, setting the PATH environment variable accordingly)
> and trying to rebuild the package. It hopefully would give errors such
> the ones I saw here.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Luiz

Hi Luiz,

On a clean 14.2 system I get "command not found" for javac. Which of
course makes sense.

I think the easiest solution for the SlackBuild is just to add
"--disable-java" to the config and allow people to add it if they need to.

If there's no issues with that I'll go ahead and change it and re-submit
(with a note in the README for the option to enable).

Thanks,

Barry