[Slackbuilds-users] vlc and gcc 9.2 (current)

Matteo Bernardini matteo.bernardini at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 08:50:40 UTC 2020

Il giorno mer 12 feb 2020 alle ore 09:36 Peter Dambier
<peter at peter-dambier.de> ha scritto:

> Sorry I could not reach the maintainer.

that's really strange, he just answered to another topic on this same
list three hours ago.

> I do need vls and most likely not only me.
>
> There is a bag of fun hidden when moving on and that bag of fun is gcc.
>
> My native language is C, the old style and I never got C++ right or C++
> always got me. Wrong company, wrong teacher. In the Beginning was the
> class lib and it was no glass lib. Every company had its own they always
> wrote it before understanding C++ in the first place.
>
> gcc (GCC) 9.2 has got the Mad Cow Disease. E.g. it dos not understand
>
>     abs(p_in->format.i_height);
>
> May be it knows plain old C? Does it understand
>
>     abs((int)p_in->format.i_height);
>
> Hurray it does.
>
> This little change applied twice in one line was all it took to make vlc
> build on Slackware current.
>
> Dont mention those 64 required packages with some 16 of them having
> similar hickups.

maybe you are not aware that SlackBuilds.org supports only the latest
Slackware stable (current is not officially supported).
you can find a topic that could give you some pointers about building
SBo scripts on current on the dedicated stickied thread in the
Slackware forum at LinuxQuestions.org: if something doesn't build on a
full and freshly installed slackware current (custom installations are
not supported even there) please report about it on that topic.

> If there is no maintainer for vlc I'll grab it but I have to learn how
> to write and apply a patch for the slackbuild first.
>
> Here is my patch for
>
> vlc/vlc-3.0.8/modules/video_filte/opencv_wrapper.c
>
> I got it working on 32 bit Slackware current.
> That patch should not harm Slackware 14.2
>
> Cheers
> Peter
>

> *** opencv_wrapper.c    2020-02-11 21:24:32.997759854 +0100
> --- opencv_wrapper.c.orig       2017-12-05 11:48:00.000000000 +0100
> ***************
> *** 313,323 ****
>
> *****************************************************************************/
>     static void VlcPictureToIplImage( filter_t* p_filter, picture_t* p_in )
>     {
>         int planes = p_in->i_planes;    //num input video planes
>         // input video size
> !     CvSize sz = cvSize(abs((int)p_in->format.i_width),
> abs((int)p_in->format.i_height));
>         video_format_t fmt_out;
>         filter_sys_t* p_sys = p_filter->p_sys;
>
>         memset( &fmt_out, 0, sizeof(video_format_t) );
>
> --- 313,323 ----
>
> *****************************************************************************/
>     static void VlcPictureToIplImage( filter_t* p_filter, picture_t* p_in )
>     {
>         int planes = p_in->i_planes;    //num input video planes
>         // input video size
> !     CvSize sz = cvSize(abs(p_in->format.i_width),
> abs(p_in->format.i_height));
>         video_format_t fmt_out;
>         filter_sys_t* p_sys = p_filter->p_sys;
>
>         memset( &fmt_out, 0, sizeof(video_format_t) );

please avoid sending patches inline because they are
unreadable/unusable, send them as attachments.

I'll try to build vlc here for personla curiosity (I will need a
little) and report back.

Matteo