[Slackbuilds-users] mathics (my build) broken and seems rather inactive

David Chmelik dchmelik at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 05:13:30 UTC 2020

     I maintain mathics.SlackBuild.  Earlier versions worked.  There
didn't seem to be any dependency changes I didn't account for, but as of
version 1.0, Mathics is broken.  It even crashes if you enter:
1+1<SHIFT><ENTER>.  (yes, you press <SHIFT> before <ENTER> in
Mathics/Mathematica.)
     They abandoned IRC and for months/years, their Slack.com general
chat room has been completely inactive (other than questions by me and
one other person... no developers) though (they have an emailing-list
and maybe some unlisted/secret development Slack chat room, and)
activity on GitHub continues (of course, I'm only going to build
normally-numbered versions, not hashed-numbered versions.) There are
questions I asked them a year or two ago, unanswered... not about a
critical issue, but asking how to run a public server, which is
something their documentation says maybe you'd like to ask the
developers (I even asked how much it might cost for them to
code/document a safer way to run it.)  It still will run on a public
server as a completely non-privileged user (they still claim is risky.)
     I'm just asking, is it worth reporting this to Mathics on
emailing-list or GitHub.com, or can/should anyone suggest/help how to
debug first, or does it no longer seem serious enough and should just be
removed for Slackware 15.0?