[Slackbuilds-users] jack-audio-connection-kit vs. jack2, redux

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 22:16:35 UTC 2020

So I've been thinking about this, and talking to upstream JACK
developers...

We current have jack-audio-connection-kit (JACK version 1.x) and jack2
(version 2.x). I maintain both builds these days...

Upstream considers version 1 to be archaic, and it'll only be updated if
major issues are discovered (e.g. security fixes). They say nobody should
still be using jack1, and if something that works on jack1 doesn't work
on jack2, that's a bug in jack2 that should be reported.

So I propose to do this:

- Rename jack-audio-connection-kit to jack1-legacy.
- Rename jack2 to jack.
- Update all .info files and READMEs that mention jack-audio-connection-kit,
  so they say "jack" instead.
- Eventually, get rid of jack1-legacy from our repo. No hurry on this.

Why not rename jack2 to jack-audio-connection-kit? Because the switchover
is already going to cause enough confusion without also having the names
clash. Also, upstream refers to it as "jack" these days.

Maintainers of builds that depend on jack-audio-connection-kit, you
can help by installing jack2 (instead of jack-audio-connection-kit)
and testing your builds with it. If things fail to build, or run
incorrectly, and you get stuck trying to fix them, contact me by email
or IRC (freenode, user Urchlay) and I'll attempt to help you out.

Here's a list of all the builds that currently depend on
jack-audio-connection-kit (REQUIRES or mentioned in the README), broken
out by maintainer. If your name is on this list, please let me know you
got this message...

Christoph Willing <chris.willing at linux.com>
    graphics/Blender
    graphics/vsxu
    multimedia/obs-studio
    multimedia/openshot
    multimedia/vlc

Christopher Forrest <nyrednek at gmx.com>
    audio/specimen

David Woodfall <dave at dawoodfall.net>
    audio/lash

Erik Hanson <erik at slackbuilds.org>
    audio/jamin

Felix Pfeifer <pfeifer[dot]felix[at]googlemail[dot]com>
    audio/SuperCollider
    audio/muse

Heinz Wiesinger <pprkut at liwjatan.at>
    audio/rosegarden

Johannes Schoepfer <slackbuilds at schoepfer.info>
    audio/a2jmidid
    audio/amSynth
    audio/azr3
    audio/seq24
    audio/setBfree

Klaatu <klaatu at member.fsf.org>
    audio/aj-snapshot
    audio/luppp

Larry Hajali <larryhaja[at]gmail[dot]com>
    multimedia/shotcut

Marcel Saegebarth <marc at mos6581.de>
    audio/jack_capture
    audio/qjackctl
    audio/xwax
    games/qtsixa

Matteo Bernardini <ponce at slackbuilds.org>
    audio/ardour
    libraries/aubio

Michales Michaloudes <korgie at gmail.com>
    audio/aeolus
    audio/carla
    audio/fst
    audio/jvmetro
    audio/meterbridge
    audio/pd_mrpeach
    audio/qmidiarp
    audio/qmidinet
    audio/vmpk
    multimedia/dsmidiwifi
    multimedia/dssi

Ryan P.C. McQuen <ryanpcmcquen at member.fsf.org>
    audio/patchage

Zbigniew Baniewski <Zbigniew [dot] Baniewski [at] gmail [dot] com>
    audio/helm
    audio/lmms
    audio/qtractor
    audio/yoshimi

fuzzix <fuzzix at gmail.com>
    audio/alsamodularsynth

khronosschoty <khronosschoty at posteo.org>
    network/basilisk
    network/palemoon

klaatu <klaatu at member.fsf.org>
    audio/non

otzy_007 <oz at oprod.net>
    audio/llcon

...My builds, nobody else has to worry about these...
B. Watson <yalhcru at gmail.com>
    audio/alsa-plugin-jack
    audio/bristol
    audio/calf