[Slackbuilds-users] jack-audio-connection-kit vs. jack2, redux

Klaatu klaatu at member.fsf.org
Tue Jan 14 22:55:17 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, January 14, 2020 05:16:35 PM B Watson wrote:
> So I've been thinking about this, and talking to upstream JACK
> developers...
>
> We current have jack-audio-connection-kit (JACK version 1.x) and jack2
> (version 2.x). I maintain both builds these days...
>
> Upstream considers version 1 to be archaic, and it'll only be updated if
> major issues are discovered (e.g. security fixes). They say nobody should
> still be using jack1, and if something that works on jack1 doesn't work
> on jack2, that's a bug in jack2 that should be reported.
>
> So I propose to do this:
>
> - Rename jack-audio-connection-kit to jack1-legacy.
> - Rename jack2 to jack.
> - Update all .info files and READMEs that mention jack-audio-connection-kit,
> so they say "jack" instead.
> - Eventually, get rid of jack1-legacy from our repo. No hurry on this.
>
> Why not rename jack2 to jack-audio-connection-kit? Because the switchover
> is already going to cause enough confusion without also having the names
> clash. Also, upstream refers to it as "jack" these days.
>
> Maintainers of builds that depend on jack-audio-connection-kit, you
> can help by installing jack2 (instead of jack-audio-connection-kit)
> and testing your builds with it. If things fail to build, or run
> incorrectly, and you get stuck trying to fix them, contact me by email
> or IRC (freenode, user Urchlay) and I'll attempt to help you out.
>
> Here's a list of all the builds that currently depend on
> jack-audio-connection-kit (REQUIRES or mentioned in the README), broken
> out by maintainer. If your name is on this list, please let me know you
> got this message...

Amazing, I LOVE this solution. Welcome to 2020, JACK.

My builds are tested with jack2 as it is, because jack2 is what I run on all
of my machines.

I have also tested, extensively, these applications with jack2 (by running
them on either my computer or computers I maintain for band mates and
collaborators):

* Christoph Willing <chris.willing at linux.com*
*     graphics/Blender
*     multimedia/obs-studio
*     multimedia/openshot
*     multimedia/vlc

* Christopher Forrest <nyrednek at gmx.com*
*     audio/specimen

* David Woodfall <dave at dawoodfall.net*
*     audio/lash

* Erik Hanson <erik at slackbuilds.org*
*     audio/jamin

* Felix Pfeifer <pfeifer[dot]felix[at]googlemail[dot]com*
*     audio/muse

* Heinz Wiesinger <pprkut at liwjatan.at*
*     audio/rosegarden

* Johannes Schoepfer <slackbuilds at schoepfer.info*
*     audio/a2jmidid
*     audio/amSynth
*     audio/seq24

* Klaatu <klaatu at member.fsf.org*
*     audio/aj-snapshot
*     audio/luppp

* Larry Hajali <larryhaja[at]gmail[dot]com*
*     multimedia/shotcut

* Marcel Saegebarth <marc at mos6581.de*
*     audio/jack_capture
*     audio/qjackctl

* Matteo Bernardini <ponce at slackbuilds.org*
*     audio/ardour
*     libraries/aubio

* Michales Michaloudes <korgie at gmail.com*
*     audio/meterbridge
*     audio/qmidiarp
*     audio/qmidinet
*     multimedia/dssi

*  Ryan P.C. McQuen <ryanpcmcquen at member.fsf.org*
*     audio/patchage

* Zbigniew Baniewski <Zbigniew [dot] Baniewski [at] gmail [dot] com*
*     audio/lmms
*     audio/qtractor
*     audio/yoshimi

* klaatu <klaatu at member.fsf.org*