[Slackbuilds-users] zoom-linux crash

Kevin McCormick kev4321 at fastmail.fm
Sun Mar 22 18:16:26 UTC 2020

Further information: removed the nvidia-kernel and nvidia-driver
packages(440.59) and xf86-video-nouveau-blacklist package.  Now
zoom-linux and kde seem to run fine.  Problem is display quality is far
lower than when nvidia was installed.  Apparently, xorg was unloading
nvidia and loading nouveau regardless of blacklist, shown in Xorg.0.log,
but the nvidia libraries are so much better.  When I used
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia.conf there was a crash with X regardless
of window manager, so the issue is plainly using the wrong nvidia
driver.  When I tried to manually use the NVIDIA-Linux***.run program,
it claimed there was a kernel module present, so I halted at that
point.   The nvidia README lists possible library conflicts, which is a
problem for me.  How does one package the 418.1130 driver and is
nvidia-switch necessary?

On 3/22/20 7:58 AM, Kevin McCormick wrote:
> I should also add that kde will not start.  The splash screen appears,
> but then crashes to a black screen with the cursor in the upper left
> and no keyboard or mouse response.  Computer must be powered off by
> pressing the power button for 4 sec.  I tried "export KDE_DEBUG=True"
> but cannot find a dump file.  Using fluxbox is fine.
>
> On 3/21/20 7:27 PM, Kevin McCormick wrote:
>> A little more investigation reveals that the recommended driver for
>> Geforce GT 730M is 418.1130,  I have 440,59 installed now.
>>

>> On 3/21/20 5:29 PM, Kevin McCormick wrote:
>>> My computer:  Thinkpad T440p
>>> Slackware 14.2 with many packages from SBo.
>>> video: Nvidia GeForce GT 730M and Intel i5-4200M with GPU
>>> I mention the video because it may have something to do with the
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> zoom-linux gives a flash on the screen and crashes.
>>>
>>> $ zoom-linux &
>>> . . .
>>> Graphics Card Info::
>>> Zoom package arch is 64bit, runing OS arch is x86_64
>>> AppIconMgr::systemDesktopName log Desktop Name:
>>> QGLXContext: Failed to create dummy context
>>> qt.scenegraph.general: QSG: basic render loop
>>> qt.scenegraph.general: Using sg animation driver
>>> qt.svg: link image0 hasn't been detected!