[Slackbuilds-users] libinput-1.15.4 build fails: no pkg_resources

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Mar 23 21:09:14 UTC 2020

I'm running Slackware-14.2/x86_64 and Python3-3.8.2 with current versions of
libinput requirements and libinput-1.15.3. When I try to build -1.15.4 the
process fails here:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/bin/meson", line 6, in <module>
     from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pkg_resources'

Sure enough, I cannot import pkg_resources in Python3.

A StackOverflow thread taught me that pkg_resources is distributed with
setuptools; I have three of 'em here: python-setuptools-22.0.5-x86_64-1[1],
setuptools-git-1.1-x86_64-1_SBo, and setuptools-scm-3.3.3-x86_64-1_SBo. An
answer to the SO question says that:

"July 2018 Update

"Most people should now use pip install setuptools (possibly with sudo).

"Some may need to (re)install the python-setuptools package via their
package manager (apt-get install, yum install, etc.).

"This issue can be highly dependent on your OS and dev environment. See the
legacy/other answers below if the above isn't working for you.

"Explanation

"This error message is caused by a missing/broken Python setuptools package.
Per Matt M.'s comment and setuptools issue #581, the bootstrap script
referred to below is no longer the recommended installation method.

"The bootstrap script instructions will remain below, in case it's still helpful to
anyone."

Advice needed,

Rich

[1] SBo has python3-setuptools_autover, but not a separate
python3-setuptools.