[Slackbuilds-users] GSlapt?

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Sat May 30 04:49:33 UTC 2020

Hi,
Forwarding to the list as you answered privately to my first response.

The dependencies management optional feature of slapt-get/gslapt can
help only people having done a partial Slackware as if they did a full
one all dependencies are already met.

Further, this needs a reliable source of information about dependencies
included in PACKAGES.TXT.

For your information I maintain a distribution based on Slackware and
using slapt-get, called Slint. In slapt-getrc we include as source of
packages for Slackware this repository:
SOURCE=https://slackware.uk/salix/x86_64/slackware-14.2/:DEFAULT
which has the dependencies documented in PACKAGES.TXT, courtesy of the
Salix  project.
However Slint can do without this information for Slackware packages as
long as none is removed, as based on a full Slackware (only the KDE
series is optional). Further some packages are modified for Slint but
keep the same  base and have priority over the genuine Slackware ones.
Additionally we do not support a partial Slint installation, so the
dependency information for Slint users only matters for packages that
are added to the Slint repository after the ISO has been published.

Slint users are advised if using build material from SBo to write a build
queue typing:
sqg -p <package>
and using it to build and install the packages and its dependencies but
always with the "keep" option:
sbopkg -k -i <package>
I also slightly modified sbopkg so that its "keep" option skips the
installed dependencies even if the full package name does not end in SBo
as we include several packages for which a SlackBuild is available @ SBo
but not at the same version or with the same content. Python3 comes to
mind: we ship version 3.5.9 but SBo currently has version 3.7.2 which
can lead to issues if /usr/bin/python3 links to a version that differ
from the one a given package that you try to run was built against.

All this rant to remind that the main difficulty with dependencies is
the accuracy of the list, which among many factors is context dependent,
the context including the build options for the packages and their
dependencies, their versions, and the installed software at time of
building the list.

Cheers,
Didier