[Slackbuilds-users] Add Autodetect to ffmpeg for Optional Dependencies

Jeremy Hansen jebrhansen+SBo at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 00:02:55 UTC 2020

Heinz,

I'm a bit frustrated that the developers of ffmpeg don't have autodetect in
their ./configure. Your script has definitely helped improve building
ffmpeg, but even with that, it is quite inconvenient to have to pass all
those VARs to the SlackBuild script (and for users of SBo building programs
to figure out how to pass those variables to the program).

So I decided to add autodetection for those packages into the SlackBuild
script itself and update the variables passed to the ./configure based on
that autodetection. pkg-config is used for most of them, but there's 7
programs that don't support it, so I just checked for that program's header
file.

Now users would just need to disable any optional features if they have the
packages installed but don't want that support in ffmpeg.

I've also updated the README to reflect the change and bumped the build
number.

The only thing that might need tweaking is the length of the lines doing
the autodetection. They go well beyond the soft 72 character limit on a
single line (all of them are over 100 characters and the longest is 186
characters). I started going through and breaking them up, but there are
some unique lines that don't have a natural break before the 72 character
point. Feel free to make any adjustments if you feel they're necessary.

Hopefully you'll agree that this would be a beneficial change to the
SlackBuild and switch things over. Let me know if you have any thoughts or
suggestions.

Jeremy (aka bassmadrigal on the LQ forum)