[Slackbuilds-users] (no subject)

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 01:12:51 UTC 2021

games/unvanquished version 0.50.0: Did this ever work?

It needs a patch to the SlackBuild to compile:

-    -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS:STRING="$SLKCFLAGS" \
+    -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS:STRING="$SLKCFLAGS -fpermissive" \

Once built & installed, the game fails to start. In its output, I see:

Warn: R_InitImages: could not load 'gfx/2d/consolechars'
[FS] Loading pak '/usr/share/games/unvanquished/pkg/unvanquished_0.50.0.pk3'...
Warn: [FS] Could not find pak 'unvanquished' with version '0.49.0'
required by '/usr/share/games/unvanquished/pkg/unvanquished_0.50.0.pk3'
Failed to load pak 'unvanquished': Missing dependency

Could not load base pak 'unvanquished', falling back to default

...then a dialog box appears with "R_InitImages: could not load
'gfx/2d/consolechars'" and an OK button. Click OK, game exits.

It seriously looks like the 0.50.0 game data pk3 is just a 'patch' pk3
that needs the 0.49.0 pk3. It also looks like this issue has been known
for *4 years*:

https://github.com/Unvanquished/Unvanquished/issues/944

Installing all the .pk3 files from the binary release allows the game
to get past the 'could not load base pak' error, but now it chokes
with:

Warn: Error during initialization: IPC: Socket closed by remote end
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'Sys::DropErr'
  what():  IPC: Failed to send message: Broken pipe

...which is also mentioned in the github thread I linked, and can be fixed
via 'sysctl vm.mmap_min_addr=65536'.

I'm fixing this SlackBuild in my git branch (no action required by the
maintainer), but how did this *ever* get so broken in the first place?