[Slackbuilds-users] geoclue2: wants optional dependencies [FIXED]

Tim Dickson dickson.tim at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 18 14:51:01 UTC 2021

see inline comment.

On 18/02/2021 13:40, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Feb 2021, B Watson wrote:
>
>> *Please* try to avoid doing this. Before you send a mail to the list
>> asking for help with a problem, make sure the problem hasn't already
>> been fixed in the repo. We can't guess if you're using outdated stuff
>> from 3 years ago, so we collectively wasted however many man-hours
>> trying to help you with a non-problem.
>
> In the 17 years I've run Slackware and SBo packages I've not before
> found a
> package version with a different build script than the same version I
> have
> here.
>
>> SlackBuild scripts can and do change, in between version updates.
>
> And now I've learned this.
>
>> You might want to use git to track changes to the repo.
>
> Every week after updates are posted I run sbopkg and update what's
> installed. Now I'm installing removed packages which is not automated by
> sbopkg.
if you had run "sync" from within sbopkg as you just said, your
geoclue2.SlackBuild would have been the most up-to-date one, and you
would have avoided the problem you had, which makes it puzzling. Either
you used a different repo than the one created by sbopkg (default
location /var/lib/sbopkg/SBo/14.2/ ), or you didn't run sync from
sbopkg, or there is a bug somewhere.

Admittedly, deps can change, so if you didn't check them and the readme
for changes, that is the first port of call. Also, sometimes you have to
rebuild libs and programs that depend on the updated package, even if
the version is the same.

> I'm also now keeping all installed compressed tarballs. When those are
> upgraded by sbopkg I'll update the local repo too.
>
> Not knowing there was a potential problem by having an outdated build
> script
> here for the same source version as on the SBo I couldn't avoid it.
see above comment. if you use sync from sbopkg, your sbopkg repo will
always be as up to date as when you last ran sync.
you may not spot a script that changed noticeably without a build number
change (fortunately a rare occurrence), but at least you would be
looking at the current script. As the change was done 2.5yrs ago, I
would suggest you either haven't been syncing the whole repo from within
sbopkg, or you are working on an entirely different copy of the repo.

https://www.avg.com