[Slackbuilds-users] Building atlas

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Feb 18 20:04:26 UTC 2021

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021, Erich Ritz wrote:

> Perhaps it meant to reference this?
> https://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/14.2/libraries/atlas/README.SLACKWARE
> which instructs you to do:
> /etc/rc.d/rc.cpufreq performance

Erich,

I saw the README.SLACKWARE file but was looking for the INSTALL.txt file the
build suggested.

> If you can't get atlas to build, try OpenBLAS instead. I use OpenBLAS with
> octave without a problem. Note that OpenBLAS can be used instead of atlas
> (and also instead of blas+lapack). The README for octave explains the
> situation quite clearly, in my opinion.

I've used OpenBLAS, too. After all these years I'm still not confident I
know the relationships of LAPACK, BLAS, ATLAS, and OpenBLAS. They seem to
overlap so much.

Since OpenBLAS seems to do all that octave, R, grass, and other applications
want done I'll remove LAPACK-ATLAS, and build only OpenBLAS.

Thanks for the insight!

Rich