[Slackbuilds-users] dwb and webkitgtk

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 08:06:54 UTC 2021

So a while back, the original maintainer gave up dwb, and I took it
rather than see it disappear...

At this point though, its upstream hasn't updated it since 2016. It
relies on webkitgtk 2.4.x, which is supposed to be full of security
issues that will never be fixed: from what I've read, the official
correct way forward for a project like dwb would be to port it to the
newer webkitgtk API (what we call webkit2gtk on SBo).

Does anyone use and love dwb? If so, please take over as maintainer
for it. If nobody steps up in the next month or so, I'm going
to remove it from the repo. At this point, it's junk, from my POV
(because of the security holes, and because I don't have any interest
in using it anyway).

More generally, it looks like any general-purpose web browser that
still uses webkitgtk 2.4.x is junk. We have a few builds that depend
on the old webkitgtk:

https://portix.bitbucket.io/dwb/

...but at least some of those use it for displaying their built-in
help, or other non-internet-browsing purposes, which is probably
OK...?

Here's an article that explains the webkitgtk mess:

https://blogs.gnome.org/mcatanzaro/2016/02/01/on-webkit-security-updates/

My reading of it is basically "anything still using the 1.0 API is
unsupported, port to 2.0 or die". Other opinions?