[Slackbuilds-users] [Slackware-current] zfs-on-linux

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 09:37:59 UTC 2021

On 1/28/21, David Chmelik <dchmelik at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone?  Last year I reported the above to the maintainer, then a week
> ago asked if we'd be getting one of the new versions.  I haven't heard
> back.  Is he on slackbuilds-users?  Hopefully just may be busy making
> the changes required to make a newer version into a package...  If he

Guy hasn't updated it, or anything else, since May 30 of 2020, like
8 months ago. And he's not answering emails. If you (or anyone else)
were willing to take over the build, it's effectively available now.

> quit building it for some reason I wouldn't be able to take over this
> SlackBuild but isn't it important enough it should be getting an update
> soon?

It's not going to get an update because it's "important", it's going
to get an update because someone updates it. If that someone isn't
you, sadly there's not much you can do but wait.

Sometimes the admins will update a build because we think it's
"important", or because it's something an admin personally uses
(usually an application that nothing else depends on), but ZFS is not
something we'd update lightly unless one of us actually *uses* ZFS. A
filesystem would need thorough real-world testing, by its maintainer,
before he updates it for everyone else to use).

To the whole list: Anyone here use zfs-on-linux and want to take over
as its maintainer?