[Slackbuilds-users] rc scripts with -current

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Fri Jul 16 04:54:50 UTC 2021

On Mon, 5 Jul 2021 12:12:04 +0200
Ruben Schuller <sb at rbn.im> wrote:

> hi!
>
> i'm not sure if this observation is correct (or already was discussed
> here), but rc scripts may have to be modified for -current as /var/run
> isn't persistent anymore. a tmpfs is mounted to /run and this in turn
> is bind mounted to /var/run in rc.S:
>
> 	# If /run exists, mount a tmpfs on it (unless the
> 	# initrd has already done so):
> 	if [ -d /run ]; then
> 	  if ! grep -wq "tmpfs /run tmpfs" /proc/mounts ; then
> 	    /sbin/mount -v -n -t tmpfs tmpfs /run -o
> mode=0755,size=32M,nodev,nosuid,noexec fi
> 	  # Make sure that mounts below /run are visible in both /run
> and /var/run: /sbin/mount --make-shared /run
> 	fi
>
> and
>
> 	# Bind mount /run to /var/run:
> 	mount -o bind /run /var/run
>
> the rc scripts of daemons included in slackware have been changed
> accordingly, e.g. rc.bind:
>
> 	bind_start() {
> 	  # Make sure /var/run/named exists:
> 	  mkdir -p /var/run/named
>
> some programs may create their directory themselves (like mariadb
> seems to do), others will complain on startup if it doesn't exist. in
> any case, installing /var/run/$name via a package is lost after
> reboot.
>
> i think it usually is enough to just create the directory like it's
> done in rc.bind.

Yes, this issue is quite valid, and the solution isn't always as
easy as what was done in rc.bind, unfortunately.

I'm (SLOWLY) working through the ones that I know about and/or
the ones that are easily findable with a grep.

We'll be happy to review pull requests and/or patches to any of
them that you happen to notice.

-RW