[Slackbuilds-users] Questions about SlackBuild licenses

JK Wood joshuakwood at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 02:26:04 UTC 2021

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021, 20:38 Dave Woodfall <dave at slackbuilds.org> wrote:

> On 30/07/21 02:43,
> Edward Ender <skaendo at linuxmail.org> put forth the proposition:
> >    I know that each SlackBuild must include a license block, but what
> about these off-brand licenses like WTFPL, etc?
> >    Are these legit or should they be changed to the MIT-style block?
> >    Is there a list of "accepted" licenses? Or should they just follow
> the OSI standards?
> >    Thanks,
> >    Ed
>
> Ben / Urchlay uses WTFPL so I assume any off-brand is OK.  We don't
> have a list of accepted licenses that I know about.
>
> --
> Dave

My understanding is that the licenses have to ensure the rights of the end
user to modify them. Public domain does not exist in all jurisdictions, so
the license has to specifically give rights to the end user to ensure that
it's useable everywhere by everyone. See any of my SlackBuilds for pretty
much the minimal acceptable license.

--JK