[Slackbuilds-users] Bad character in snappy.info

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Wed Jun 9 12:55:48 UTC 2021

Hi,

Le 09/06/2021 à 14:00, Christoph Willing a écrit :
> While working on updating HooRex for python 3, I discovered that in
> development/snappy/snappy.info, there is an errant character in the
> MAINTAINER field. Could someone fix please?
>
> To see the resulting error when reading that file in python, run the
> following python script in the development/snappy directory:
>
> #!/usr/bin/env python3
> with open('snappy.info', 'r') as f:
>       txt = f.read()

The second character of the maintainer's first name : "Mário" is a LATIN
SMALL
LETTER A WITH ACUTE according to UNICODE, in an UTF-8 encoding (U+00DE1
or á).

Which leads to a request. In  http://slackbuilds.org/guidelines/ it is
written:

"It's recommended to use plain ASCII for all files that are being
submitted to
SBo"

However, most languages use characters outside of the ASCII set. Why not
allow
  an UTF-8 encoding, in which all maintainers names can be properly written?

Didier